An event every week that begins at 8:00 pm on Friday and Saturday, repeating until July 30, 2023
It’s officially Masskrugstemmen season! Most of you are likely asking what Masskrugstemmen actually means. Welcome to the world of stein holding!
Masskrugstemmen (Mahss-kroog-stem-men) is a Bavarian contest of strength, determination and pure stamina. And it’s exactly what it sounds like. You hold a full one-liter stein of brew as long as you can; if you outlast your competition, you’re the champion. Sounds so easy right? Well, you couldn’t be more wrong. That liter of beer you will be holding weighs about 5.5 pounds! Held in one hand, with your arm extended, and elbow straight, that 5.5-pound beer starts to feel like a boulder after 20 seconds! The average man lasts about 5 minutes with the average female lasting about 2 minutes. The world record is 45 minutes and 2 seconds!
Now if you’ve made it this far, you’re probably wondering how to win the trip to NYC that we promised in the title! Starting this weekend, we will hold a Masskrugstemmen every Friday and Saturday at 8 pm.
The rules are simple:
• Come to Hofbräuhaus Buffalo on a Friday or Saturday to compete at 8 pm
• Outlast your competition
• We will record the time of the winning male and winning female contestants
• At the end of Summer, the male and female with the best times will be sent to compete in the Hofbräuhaus Masskrugstemmen National Championshiop in New York City!
• If you win the competition in New York City, you will then get to compete in Munich!
• Contestants must be 21+ with proper ID. There is no fee to enter the contest. Winners will be chosen at the discretion of our Masskrugstemmen judges.
Check out the official rules from the US Steinholding Association: